Friday, October 1, 2010

Solid Week of Training

In total contrast to what I just mentioned about injuries, I have in fact had a strong week of training. I read something earlier in the week about how to make the most of your training, especially as you try to juggle it with work and family. Something key that stood out for me was the idea that you should have a few key sessions a week that are high intensity and that you focus on. Except with swimming - the article said you can approach each swim with a 'kill it' kind of attitude. It made me realise that I focus a lot on getting my technique right when in the water, but had become a little relaxed in the intensity I used. So this week, I smashed each session and swam hard. 3 sessions down and you know what? It worked. I feel like I got a lot more out of the sessions and pulled up fine the next day. I'm still slow as but that's not the point ;o)

The squad had a 20k time trial on the bike this week*. When I saw it on my program my first thought was "What a coincidence, I was just thinking on the weekend that I would like to see how fast I can go over 20k's". My second thought was, "there is no way I'm getting up at 4:30am to do that session". It's tough man! Reseting that desire to stay in bed almost every day because you have a session to do. Fighting the urge to pull the cover up higher and sneak in some more sleep. It can be overcome. My aunty asked me during the week about where I find the inspiration from. Stay tuned - I will share my secrets soon!

* to brag, I was the fastest over a tough highly 20k time trial. Look out world!

No comments:

Post a Comment